Deadly lunch at supplier NEXT
On 4 September 2014, workers at the NEXT factory in Colombo, Sri Lanka were taken ill with food poisoning. Over 200 workers were admitted to a nearby hospital, where one female worker died on 7 September.
Samples of food from the factory were tested and results show the food poisoning was clearly caused by the factory lunch.
Engagement with NEXT has so far led to some systems being put in place to guard against future food poisoning taking place, such as more frequent inspections and a worker committee to oversee the lunch provision. However, the family of the victim have not yet received compensation, despite the factory being wholly owned by UK-based retailer NEXT, who is its only client.